Another set of revisions to do by Monday. The past two months have been a series of edits after edits. I'm a little tired and look forward to defending the prospectus and moving on to the dissertation. Revisions for one person is one thing but to meet the requirements of two more people? Especially when they conflict? I was asked by my advisor to address suggested changes and comments under one of three categories:
1) Accept suggested revision. Some are very easy: it's just a matter of removing a word or adding one. Some are tougher: I need to clarify concepts that I use to address a misreading. Some are quite difficult: I have to restructure an entire section around a different term.
2) Reject suggested revision. Sometimes people comment to, well, comment, not so much to say that things need to be different. And sometimes it's a matter of a difference of opinion based on different disciplinary requirements or on particular intellectual "schools." But I need to fully explain why I reject a suggestion. I need to deal with this now so that it doesn't come up again and again later on after the prospectus.
3) Accept the suggestion but do it for a later stage, i.e. for the dissertation. And make good on this promise.
In addition to the revised draft, I will submit an addendum which outlines my reasoning for rejecting certain suggestions and includes notes on what I'll do for the dissertation that I will not do at the prospectus stage.
No comments:
Post a Comment