Thursday, July 16, 2009

Double Isolation

10:00AM "Shoot, I slept in. Again. Well, at least it's before noon. I have at least 12 hours to do work today."

11:00AM "Oh, it's been an hour already since I woke up? I've only just had breakfast and [fill in the blank with mindless yet essential morning routine]. I still have to have some coffee. Ok, I'll start working after coffee."

12:00PM "I can't believe I've been writing this email for an hour. Great, there's goes my morning. I'll do some work now. No excuses."

1:00PM "Ugh, it's 1 o'clock in the afternoon already and I've done nothing! What's wrong with me? I can't even muster up the courage to open my word processor."

2:00PM "I finally managed to open the program but the blank page scared the crap out of me. I went running... to the kitchen. I realized that I was hungry. Saved by grumbling stomach!"

3:00PM "It's late afternoon. I've done no work. I'm still in my pajamas. Sigh..."

4:00PM "My partner's coming home in 45 minutes. I have to look like I'm doing something!"

5:00PM "I FINALLY managed to get into the zone but my partner's home now. Maybe I'll continue riding this wave of inspiration after dinner."

5:00PM-11:00PM [Fill in the blank with various evening routine: essential, but not work-related.]

11:00PM "Ahhh I've done no work today and it's time for bed! I hate staying up by myself at night to do work. It's so depressing. But I'm more depressed by the fact that I didn't leave the apartment, got no work done and wasted the entire day. The only person I spoke to today was my partner. Sigh..."

11:30PM -next morning: Fitful sleep with nightmares about angry committee members and being in class unprepared to teach.

10:00AM "Great, I slept in. Again."

This is my usual day. Or at least was until last week. I should look at this every time I feel like not working. The isolation of graduate school, especially being ABD, is two-fold. I feel isolated from my colleagues and other human beings and I feel detached from my work. The two ingredients combine in lethal ways. It leads to self-doubt, a feeling of worthlessness and various neurotic and self-destructive ways of coping. We shouldn't underestimate just how powerful this grip is on us, physically, mentally, emotionally and psychologically. Lynda Barry, a graphic novelist and author of the brilliant One Hundred Demons, encourages her readers to come up with a book of their own demons. Unproductivity would be one of mine. It would have many glaring eyes, a smoldering stench, make nails-on-chalkboard sounds and sit on top of my shoulder pressing me down, getting bigger and bigger as the day wanes. It likes to hang out with Worthlessness and Isolation.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate to this but my fears are around the lack of thesis productivity specifically...I think I'm doing ok in other areas. To make matters worse, I got the 'student progress' email today and now I have to make it look like I've been doing 'something' (!) so my committee won't think I totally suck. :(
    It is hard and I wonder how other people do it sometimes...they seem so on top of it all. Perhaps recognizing what your 'demons' are is the first step in being able to confront and hopefully squash them.

    ReplyDelete