Monday, March 29, 2010

Teaching Journal (7): Going outside the curriculum

It’s easier to identify and address the needs of students who are struggling in the class than to be attentive to those of students who excel. Whether it’s giving feedback on assignments or expanding critical thinking through class discussions, guiding and challenging students at levels A- and below seem to be more obvious. But what about the A to A+ students? How to challenge them?


I have about five students in my class who operate at the level of MA students in terms of sophistication in thought and in writing. I felt that I can do more for them than just give them good grades and write encouraging comments on their papers.


Luckily for me, my graduate department is currently organizing a conference that is open to undergraduate students. I announced the call for papers in class and then approached the five students individually by email to encourage them to apply, suggesting that they modify their final essay proposal (which they submitted earlier in the week) into a 150-word abstract. When their abstracts are accepted, they can present their final paper (12-15 pages, a good length for a 15 minute presentation with some revision) at the actual conference.


One student declined because he is unable to attend the conference in June but appreciated my encouragement, that it is “an award in itself.” (Same student spoke a lot in class today, though he is normally shy. I wonder if it’s because he felt encouraged by my invitation to apply for the conference?) Four responded that they will apply and I helped three of them over the weekend to modify their proposals into abstracts.


I also explained to the four what to expect at a graduate conference, providing a detailed outline of who speaks when and how the discussion and Q&A period works. I had to remember what it was like being an undergraduate, not knowing what to expect and feeling insecure and intimidated at the prospect of presenting in front of a group of graduate students. I can’t attend the conference, which is unfortunate since I won’t be able to provide them with moral support and “protect” them if they face hostility in the Q&A period. But I plan to ask some of my peers to “look after them” in my place.


The abstract submission was indeed a challenge for these students. Even the student who has excelled in every aspect of the course so far expressed feelings of uncertainty and insecurity. So this whole process is not part of the curriculum at all. It’s definitely “extra” curricular work that’s not part of my job description. But it’s immensely satisfying for me to know that I’ve provided these students with meaningful and (hopefully) exciting challenges that they otherwise would not find in their regular undergraduate program. And it really was minimal work. I just had to email them and to read and edit three 150-word abstracts. With such little initiative and creativity I get such a sweet reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment