Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Teaching Journal: Small class

I'm more than half way through the semester. It's been the most pleasurable teaching experience to date. All the usual anxieties in the beginning of the semester have for the most part subsided. I've reached that point in the semester when we've established a routine, some rapport and shared understanding about what to expect to happen in class. My seven (normally six) students have been amazing. They do the readings (miracle!) and make very insightful comments. Some are still shy but I think they're starting to feel more comfortable. They all shine in their writings. They provided some amazingly insightful comments when I asked for anonymous feedback on the class so far. Because the class is small and because I've been teaching for some time now, I was able to take their comments and integrate them into teaching. For example, I am switching out readings in two weeks to include more ethnographic material and to have more partner discussions while I leave the room for 5-10 minutes. Grading is much faster and actually pleasant. I can take my time to provide extensive feedback on assignments, my one-page commentary about impressions, problems and possible strategies.

I had two sets of guest speakers so far, last week and this week. Last week was my advisor and her research colleague on a project that they discussed. I thought having guest speakers would make a class much easier but boy was I mistaken! There are other issues to guest speakers. For one, I couldn't rely on the pattern and routine I developed so far. A new set of unknowns entered into the picture. Will the students respond well to the new dynamic? Will I need to direct the Q&A period and how do I do that? Plus, having my advisor there meant additional performance pressure to impress her. Ultimately, the class went extremely well. The guest speakers had a great time and so did the class. The guest speaker this week had a different presentation style. I had to take some time out to meet with him beforehand to actually formally meet and then to discuss our work, basically to build some rapport and relationship before he came into my class. It, too, went really well and he ended up becoming a valuable contact for professional advice. I have one more guest speaker at the end of November. I feel a bit better equipped to prepare for that one after two sets of guest speakers. The students like the variety as well and the expertise that each guest speaker brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment